Jae Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 09:58:52 -0500
Please add ARCANA to the list of casualties from the GITVM1 crisis.

ARCANA is a subscription-controlled list for the scholarly discussion
of the arcane and occult.  We have a high signal:noise ratio and the
list is managed by an experienced team of list-managers.  Traffic is
moderate.

If you might be willing to host ARCANA, please drop me a line and let
me know.  We'd really like to be able to continue the research and
scholarship the list has produced.

Patrick Douglas Crispen <[log in to unmask]> said:
> I'd really like to know the reasons behind Penn State's and Georgia
> Tech's recent decision to turn off (or at least severely curtail)
> their sites mail distribution lists. I just can not understand why any
> site would do this.

The letter we received from the systems administration folks at GITVM1
indicates that they're going through the same kinds of budgetary
crises most of us at Universities are facing.  They have to cut their
support staff expenses somewhere, and a very visible and reasonable
target is LISTSERV lists for the benefit of individuals outside of
Georgia Tech.

I can't blame them for it - but I *do* want my(our) list to live.

Regards,

Jae Walker, co-owner, ARCANA