John Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 16:10:51 EST
  I'm trying to create a FILELIST so a list owner can create a WELCOME
banner.  I got the LSVOWNER package from LISTSERV at UBVM.  I tried it,
step by step.  The steps are:
------------------------beginning of steps---------------------------
Steps for the LISTSERV Postmaster:
( 1) You must get the LISTSERV Postmaster to create the files:
     listname FILEID
     listname FILELIST
( 2) listname FILEID should have only one line in it which has a 1 in
     column 1.
( 3) listname FILELIST should look similar to the following:
/F/  listname  FILELIST   ALL OWN . . . . . This file
( 4) The LISTSERV Postmaster then uses the following command to get the
     LISTSERV FILELIST:
     TELL LISTSERV GET LISTSERV FILELIST (CTL
( 5) The LISTSERV Postmaster then edits LISTSERV FILELIST to add the
     following line in the files area:
/F/  listname  FILELIST   ALL OWN . . . . . This file
     Note: The /F/ must begin in column 1.
( 6) The LISTSERV Postmaster then uses the following commands to make
     this all work:
     LSVPUT listname FILEID (PUTC
     LSVPUT LISTSERV FILELIST
     LSVPUT listname FILELIST
-------------------------end of steps-----------------------------------

The "LSVPUT TES1-L FILEID (PUTC" worked fine, but I can't get
the "LSVPUT LISTSERV FILELIST" to work.
I get the following error mail (note, I want PRV instead of ALL, but
I still get the same result with ALL).

---------------beginning of error mail------------------------------

Creation of new FILELISTs requires postmaster intervention:
  TEST1-L  FILELIST   PRV OWN  . . . . . This file
PUT request rejected.

------------------end of error mail---------------------------------------

Here is my LISTSERV FILELIST that I'm trying to LSVPUT:

-------------------beginning of filelist------------------------------------
*
*  Master LISTSERV filelist
*
*  This file lists the programs that are stored on LISTSERV and can be
*  retrieved by network  users. Certain programs are  not intended for
*  common use and their retrieval is restricted.
*
*  If an entry shows nrecs=0  the file is not available.
*
*  This filelist may  be sorted in columns  47 to 63 to get  a list of
*  files in  the order of  their updates. Sorting in  descending order
*  shows the most recently updated files at the top.
*

*                                                                       *
* FILELIST declarations                                                 *
*                                                                       *
* Those filelists  which have a PUT  code of N/A are  either maintained *
* automatically by LISTSERV or come in as part of the LISTSERV software *
* package and can therefore not be changed by the installation.         *
*                                                                       *
*                             rec               last - change
* filename filetype   GET PUT -fm lrecl nrecs   date     time   File description

/F/  LISTSERV FILELIST   ALL CTL V     107    33 95/12/04 15:51:53 Lists all available LISTSERV files
/F/  NOTEBOOK FILELIST   NAD N/A V      95   N/A 87/01/28 17:10:29 List of available notebooks
/F/  INFO     FILELIST   ALL LMC V     102    92 95/06/02 16:55:05 List of information files about LISTSERV
/F/  TOOLS    FILELIST   ALL LMC V      97   213 95/05/31 08:33:22 Software tools for use with LISTSERV
/F/  CONTROL  FILELIST   ALL LMC V      96   135 95/12/04 15:51:53 Control datafiles used by LISTSERV
/F/  TEST1-L  FILELIST   PRV OWN . . . . . This file

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I'll be VERY happy to see the
LISTSERV Maintainers Guide!  Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.