Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 21:50:01 -0400
Greetings,

Stats: We run LISTSERV on unix, version 1.8b (IRIX 5.3 soon to be 6).

This query is directed to Postmasters, or Listserv Maintainers as they
are now called.  But a word from Nathan or Eric is appreciated. :-)

I'm trying to clear up some neglected loose ends and document some
solutions in a manual for the person taking over my position here.

Every other week or so I get the error:
...from LSWDACCF - No virtual disk slot available to access directory...etc.
and I get a lot of them.  As you can imagine, this has an impact on other
lists depending on what the traffic is and it confuses the hell out of
the innocent listowners who wonder why their list has suddenly gone
very silent. :-)

I know what the problem is but I haven't looked into a solution until
I have to document it. :-)  Other than having a stern chat with the
listowner to restrict his/her automated program of making too many
changes, I'm wondering if Listserv has a feature for admins that I am
not aware of.   I can't find anything in any of a number of documents
that I have looked at dating back to ...well...let's say just dated. :-)

I'm not even sure this is a required limitation of LISTSERV, but it
exists and I'm looking for a solution for my replacement who is not
familiar with LISTSERV at all. This kind of error would just blow the
next person away and listowners wouldn't even know their list was
held/locked (whatever the appropriate term).

Many thanks for any ideas or input.

--Trish
Trish Forrest
Computing Services, University of Windsor,  [log in to unmask]