Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Dec 1991 08:14:17 CST
On Sun, 8 Dec 1991 15:07:52 GMT Avrum Goodblat said:
>I have looked thru all the listserv documentation I could find, and it
>seems that that there is NO way to maintain a filelist remotely
>from a unix site. ...

   The FILELIST file itself is "wider" than 80 characters which is a problem
when going through mail gateways into most VM sites.  HOWEVER, once a
naming convention has been set up then all file additions and deletions
can be done via e-mail.  We do this on several lists here from many
different kinds of systems.  Of course, the files to be added must
also "fit" into that mail gateway limit of 80 bytes per record but most do.

   For example, if I have a generic entry in a filelist (FOOFILE) for
        FOOBAR *
then I can send mail to LISTSERV with the following PUT as the first record
in the body of the mail (followed by the file itself):

General format:
PUT fname ftype filelist "TITLE=title stuff" PW=password
...file...

For example:
PUT FOOBAR FAQ FOOFILE "TITLE=Frequently Asked Questions" PW=ppppppp
this is the first record of the "file itself" FOOBAR FAQ .
this is the second record...
...etc...

   Everything to the end of your mail body will by inserted as the file.
A couple cautions:  BE SURE all of the PUT record fits within 80 characters!
If not you may "expose" your password if the PW= field gets "wrapped" to the
next line which becomes the first line of the file.  This means the title
is limited in length.

   To delete a file you send mail with the PUT as the one and ONLY record
in the body of the mail.  This can be a problem on some systems which
insist on putting in an extra record after the last record but it works
for most users.

   Eg., to delete the FOOBAR FAQ file in FOOFILE you'd just send mail to
LISTSERV with:
PUT FOOBAR FAQ FOOFILE PW=pppppppp
as the only record in the body of the mail.

          Marty