Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:13:50 +1000
> My question is the following one, when I have first created
> several lists on
> the server, messages take a long time (12 minutes) to be
> delivered. Some
> time after, instead, they are delivered inmediately. Is it
> normal?

The issue isn't new lists, it's new subscribers.  Whenever LISTSERV detects
a new subscriber for a list their first post is always held back for about
10 minutes before being processed.

This is a security feature that stops spammers from quickly subscribing,
dumping their spam, then unsubscribing.  By holding back the first post for
10 minutes it allows the network-wide spam detection on the LISTSERV
backbone to (hopefully) catch the spammer and block the message from being
distributed.

I've never tried it myself but I'm assuming the time limit can be altered
for each list by coding Loopcheck= Spam-Delay(xx) in each header (insert
your time delay in minutes at (xx) ) or by changing the SPAM_DELAY=xx
variable in the site-wide configuration file.  (Someone please correct me if
I'm wrong here! :)

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.