Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:21:51 -0400
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:30:35 EDT, Kevin Parris said:
> There is no one way . . . but here are some things that would help.
>
>  1) convince every email software writer to code OOO generation in a
> standardized way

Eric Allman got this right in vacation.c well over 20 years ago, and most other
packages have also managed to figure out how to *not* respond to mail sent from
a list (hint - if the Return-Path: matches owner-* or *-request, you probably
don't want to OoO it).

For the N software writers out there, we've already gotten N-3 or so to DTRT.
There's only 1 vendor with any significant market share who can't seem to get
this one right.  If you need a hint who - it's the same 800 pound gorilla that
doesn't seem to feel a need to comply with other RFCs either.