Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 21 Nov 1987 20:53:04 SET
Well, you  don't HAVE to  create a sender-list for  each peer of  a given
list. You  can create just  one and  have all the  peers point to  it for
delivery  notices.  Who cares  about  the  extra  traffic that  might  be
generated by delivery notices crossing 2-3  extra links? :-) But the main
maintenance problem  is, indeed, that the  list owner is usually  NOT the
mailer maintainer  nor the  LISTSERV maintainer. Up  to now  LISTSERV has
allowed list owners to perform just  any kind of maintenance operation on
the list remotely. There is nothing  that the local postmaster can do and
the owner  can't, except  create and delete  the list  (the corresponding
account has  to be created/deleted anyway,  requiring local intervention,
and the postmaster wouldn't want this  to be doable remotely anyway). The
list owner can even clean up  the list archives remotely. I wouldn't want
this functionality to be lost if sender-lists do come to pass.

As to your local  staff bulletin board: I would use  the same approach if
there were enough staff people to justify it. Presently there is only one
besides  yours truly,  and  she's  not very  interested  in network  mail
(especially  when  it's   written  in  english  :-)  ),   what  with  the
administrative  issues  that make  it  difficult  for  me to  justify  an
increase  of LISTSERV's  disk space  to keep  more notebooks  (ie rubbish
which shouldn't even be allowed to sit  in the spool :-) ), whereas I can
increase *my* private disk space  (ie valuable programs and documentation
:-) ) without  too much problem. But  a lot of sites  do install LISTSERV
only to subscribe it to various  distribution lists and keep notebooks on
a private disk for  the staff people (and on another  public disk for the
local users).

  Eric