Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:36:12 -0400
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Sheahan, Tram Hoang (DIS) wrote:

>Hello all,
>I am currently using Sendmail and Sendmail switch to configure Sendmail. I
>would like a MTA that is easy to use and configure and has good technical
>support that we can purchase. Any suggestions on some MTAs with dependable
>technical support for configuration would be very helpful.

Other than Microcrap Exchange, Sendmail is the only MTA I know of that has
paid tech support. Keep in mind that the free tech support from the good
people who monitor the comp.mail.sendmail Usenet newsgroup is superb. I do
not see the rationale for paying for tech support. In fact, I once posted
a question to the sendmail newsgroup at 2:00am and received a response
within half an hour during a crisis that hit the nail right on the head
and fixed the problem I was having.

Also, do not assume that paid tech support is superior in any way to free
tech support. I have had many ocassions where I posted a question on a
particular software package to a free forum such as this one and gotten a
perfectly fine response in a reasonable period of time.

Just recently, I went three months waiting for a correct response from
paid tech support for a particular software package. This is tech support
that costs my employer several tens of thousands of dollars annually.
After I got tired of waiting for a response that actually worked, and I
had done some detective work on my own, I posted a question about the
problem at hand to a free tech support forum. In half an hour, I had the
answer I needed while the paid guys took another two weeks to come to the
same conclusion, and they had the benefit of several gigabytes worth of
log file and debug analysis. This issue did not involve Listserv software,
by the way. Do not assume that paid tech support is superior to free tech
support, esp. for products that provide Internet service.