Greg Erwin <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 May 1996 01:29:59 -0400
This is my first attempt at doing this, so I hope that I don't make too
many mistakes in the submission and that you are kindly in pointing them
out, if any.

I would like to create a mailing list as a replacement for a small email
zine which I have been sending out manually since May of 1994.  I think
that a listserv (whatever software is actually running it) would provide
for more interaction with the subscribers.

The magazine ("The Nullifidian") consists of essays written by me,
generally on topics concerning humanism, the moral implications of
atheism, resistance to religion, and miscellaneous.  Currently there are
about 120 subscribers.  I have been sending out the zine monthly, and
each issue has been about 40-50,000 bytes, plus headers and formatting.
There is a fairly large turnover, with the usual student Ids
disappearing and people signing off their 10 hours "free" account, and
not mentioning it.  In those cases, I have simply deleted the address.

I would broaden the list to include discussion about humanist approaches
to society, and a general resistance to ideological thinking.  And, of
course, in between postings of the monthly offering, there would be,
hopefully, general discussion.

A second reason is that I am being asked to run other, larger
listservers which currently exist.  As far as I know, they are soon to
be moved, as they are located in Universities which will be saving money
by cutting this service.  If there is someone who might be interested in
hosting them, I will pass this on, though it is possible that the
organizations running the lists are also searching for new homes.  I
have not heard that they have found a safe haven, as yet.

Anyway, I would like to be able to solve some of the problems that have
been presented to me, and would like to run a mailing list in order to
get a feel for what is involved.  I believe I have the time necessary to
handle a list of the sizes mentioned.

I currently have an account with a local ISP with 50 hours of connect
time per month, prepaid, (I pay annually).  If I went over that, it
would not be a disaster, as the overtime charges are reasonable.  I have
access to telnet, Eudora and the Web.  I am not greatly familiar with
Unix, but I have used it a bit, and worked on IBM mainframes, DEC minis,
and various other machines through the years, in addition to DOS and
Windows.

Please email me at:

my web page is at:

http://infoweb.magi.com/~godfree

[log in to unmask]                        [log in to unmask]
             http://infoweb.magi.com/~godfree/index.html