"David G. McDivitt" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 12 May 1996 21:39:47 -0700
ROB
dunno if this is related or not, but i have noticed that subscribers
who receive posts with ietf headers will never get a reply-to: header
that points to the list while folks with full or short headers will.

anybody know what's up with that?

MCDIVITT
I resolved that, finally. I have been on other lists when it has been a
problem, and I was frustrated about never having the reply-to correct. I
have even been told it could not be fixed. Actually, it's a two part
problem. If people have something in "reply-to" on their mailer, this
data gets passed across. On the list, a header keyword determines what to
do if a message already has "reply-to" info when it comes in. Setting
"reply-to" in the header to "list,respect" says to only put a list
reply-to on an outgoing message if it's blank - in other words, respect
the way it already is. "List,ignore" means to put a list reply-to on the
message, regardless what it may already have. This is the option I
wanted. I kept screwing with it until it came out right. A nice fellow
also dropped me a hint. The server said "ignore" was invalid, because I
had not preceded it with "list", and I failed to realize the possibility
of using this combination. Because most people almost certainly respond
back to the list with a message, and rarely to the individual who sent
it, this should be set to "list,ignore" most of the time. Few people
realize putting something in the "reply-to" on their mailer will screw up
anywhere. For this reason, "list,ignore" is more appropriate. Many times
I have responded automatically, without even considering it wasn't going
back to the list it came from, because I seldom look at the reply-to on
an individual message.