Yossie Silverman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Nov 1992 11:01:11 PST
I know how to do it myself!  That isn't the point.  I would like LISTSERV
to automatically create and maintain a FILELIST for lists with archives
which would contain the files in the archive and the subject lines
(or a constructed subject line for multiple submissions per archive file)
from the archived mail.

I realize this is a somewhat tall order to ask for.  I can justify it.
GOPHER is fast emerging as a standard for CWIS's (mind you, not the
only one.)  LISTSERV is probably the best of the mailing list servers.
To provide a means of marrying them, at least on VM, would be very useful

GOPHER requires a FILELIST (each line contains a fileid (starting after
column 1, I.e. there has to be a blank in column one) and a title which
describes that file - in this case the Subject: line would do very nicely.)
This FILELIST can reside on any disk that GOPHER is linked to and can be
updated on the fly as GOPHER will re-access when necessary. If LISTSERV
were to provide the above mentioned ability - GOPHER could use it automatically
and I wouldn't have to bring in any other servers or offline processes.

Does this all make sense?  I hope so.  - Yossie

P.s. I am using, as a model, the RICE GOPHER (which Rich Troth wrote and
supports) as it seems to be the GOPHER of choice for the VM environment.)

---
Yossie Silverman                   "What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
I'Net:  [log in to unmask]
Bitnet: YOSSIE@UCSFVM              B5/4 f- w- t cd g++ k++ s++ p