Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 16:08:30 CST
On Thu, 2 Mar 1995 11:22:41 EST Stan Horwitz said:
>On Fri, 24 Feb 1995 18:35:18 GMT John Stewart said:
>>My personal opinion based on my experience supporting mailing lists
>>(using the Unix Listprocessor software) and as a Usenet News Administrator
>>is that many of the mailing lists which currently exist should be replaced
>>with newsgroups.  Newsgroups are far less of a hassle to support and make
>>more efficient use of network bandwidth and machine resources.

I would modify your comment to say that they shouldn't be replaced, but
mirrored.  Some folks can't get Usenet groups.....

>What people outside of Temple cannot see is that there are dozens of Listserv
>lists  here   which  are  devoted   to  instructional  purposes   within  our
>University. These  lists are used to  by students and instructors  in various
>courses  to discuss  their  course  lectures. The  power  of  Listserv as  an
>instructional tool is  incredible. We also use Usenet for  the same thing and
>I can  see plenty of  evidence that Usenet  is not as  good a venue  for this
>stuff  as  Listserv.  I  am  not  sure  why  though.  Because  of  Listserv's
>pedigogical  value, I  am able  to justify  keeping it,  however, I  am still
>negotiating with  management regarding strategies  for improving the  way our
>Listserv and SMTP agent disperse outbound  mail. One of the long-term options
>I plan to explore  is moving to a non-VM version of  Listserv, but that's not
>something I am prepared to do any time soon.

For what it's worth, that's precicely what we just did..... (well sorta).

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)

"If the mind can conceive it, the body can achieve it."
      Napoleon Hill  (in his book _Think & Grow Rich_)