Bruce Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:29:19 -0500
I'm looking for sources of information on how LISTSERV 1.8b operates because
my organization is having the following problem with the auto-response
documents that many (most) LISTSERV sites return from our queries.  Here is
what happens.

First a word about how we are configured.  We are running Lotus Notes 4.1
and the Lotus Notes SMTPMTA, which is the gateway through an IBM firewall
machine.  When mail is sent to a LISTSERV (uga.cc.uga.edu for example) the
response gets hung up in the SMTPMTA gateway inbound because somewhere along
the way the to: field has been transformed into '><@base'.  We haven't
figured out yet who is transforming the field this way, but suspect our
firewall, because his domain name is 'base'.  In addition, I'm further
confused, because I have found one listserv (which appears to be running
1.8b) which generates response documents which don't get mangled coming into
our enterprise.  This one is 'vm.akc-wein.ac.at', and I'm wondiering what
the difference between this and the other listserv's I've tried.

Does anyone out there have a similar configuration?  Has anyone else had
problems with responses from 1.8b listservs?

Bruce Baxter
Systems Programmer
State of New York
Department of Taxation and Finance
The opinions expresed herein are my own, and not necessarily those of my
employer.