"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <REICHETZ@AWIIMC11>
Tue, 27 Feb 90 11:54:27 SET
On Mon, 26 Feb 90 11:10:25 EST Rex Bontrager said:
>I have a problem in need of a solution:
>
>Following are (1) list header from PURCCVM, (2) list header from
>UCHCECVM, and (3) sample bounced mail.
>
>-------------------- (1) List header from PURCCVM --------------------
>*  Ack= No
>-------------------- (2) List header from UCHCECVM --------------------
>*  Ack= Yes
>-------------------- (3) Sample bounced mail --------------------
>Date:         Fri, 23 Feb 90 20:01:35 EST
>From:         Revised List Processor (1.6d) <LISTSERV@PURCCVM>

It's quite simple.  Subscribers aren't known across peers. ACKs  are an option
which the USER can  set (although there is a default  for the list). Therefore
the LISTSERV  which first  sends out  the mail  (usually the  one the  user is
subscribed at)  passes information about  the option  to it's peers.  Thus you
have to set Ack= No at  UCHCECVM. LISTSERV@PURCCVM simply honours what it gets
sent from it's peer.
This is true for PEERED lists. Confusion  arises from the fact that many lists
have other LISTSERVs subscribed as  "local redistributors". In these cases the
original list looks  like a regular subscriber to the  re-dist'ng LISTSERV and
the settings at the re-dist'ng LISTSERV take effect.
Christian