Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 May 1995 22:39:11 -0400
Norm, I usually get permission before posting/forwarding private mail
sent to me...except here...credit where credit is due!  Sorry if you
are offended.

Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]> said:

>> 2. Is there  an alternative  that  someone  else has   come up   with  to
>>    replacing  the headers? (Like a  script of some kind?  :-)) I supose I
>>    could put these  lists all in their own  directory and run a script to
>>    replace the "Subscription=" to "closed".

>I'm working on a script to read and  modify headers for another purpose (in
>Perl, so it's more Unixy :-) ).  If you tell me what you  want to change, I
>can look at whether my script might be appropriate (with a hack or two) for
>your purposes ...  I assume all you want  to do is, for  some set of lists,
>change this keyword to this, that keyword to that, etc.

Exactly, I have checked all the postings and for sure changing to "Owner= none"
isn't supported in version 1.8b (may not have been in 1.8a for all I
know).  I believe that changing to "Subscription= closed" may be the most
appropriate for this purpose.  I could then modify the script to
operate on the "owner=" keyword as that is the header that I will have
to change in the future (in every Fall and Winter semester since the same
person will not be teaching the course and hense will not be the listowner).
Hey, I'm still not over my love affair with VM, but...I can pick up a
book on Perl and view it as a new learning experience. :-)

>Congratulations on the success of your program :-)

  Thanks!  And in case other sites may be interested.  While everyone
here was excited about the new teleconferencing technology (that you
can find as a paper presentation at every computer conference in 1995)
I saw how LISTSERV could address the limitations of this new tech by
providing access to the instructor (which is *the* most frequent
complaint by students) from diverse remote locations that cannot be
accommodated by teleconferencing due to costs.  Lets face it, who could
afford to install teleconferencing equipment in 30 differnet small
locations for 2-4 students each?  We've opened up education to areas
that have benefited both students and the University with LISTSERV.
Ok, so who cares what I may look like...I have always maintained that
that the quality of information far exceeds the pretty pictures you might
get with teleconferencing/www/etc.  (I also teach some of these courses)
Sorry if I am lecturing to the converted... but I am excited about this
project...and I don't post often. :-)  Umm..anyone know any good
conferences that might be interested in such a topic?  :-)  *blush*
Shameless request.  :-)

Norm, thank you... I appreciate your offer and I gracefully accept
any assistance. I'm a VM lover in a unix environment...willing to learn
Perl. :-)  Many thanks!

--Trish
--Trish forrest, Computing Services, University of Windsor