Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:21:22 -0500
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Good, Donald wrote:

> Just to show that these "wish" features are never quite so simple:

Strictly speaking, what is being requested is not a new feature; it is a
request to manually initiate an existing Listserv process.  I hope Lsoft
will seriously consider it.

> What should happen to a pending subscription where the confirmation request
> is successfully delivered to an alternate but valid address (maybe thru
> forwarding), and the subscriber replies OK with the confirmation reply
> returning the true address, different from the original subscription
> address?

The same thing that happens now.  No request for confirmation can be
confirmed from a different e-mail address (with the only exceptions being
the List Owner and Postmaster).

> Should the subscription fail or should the original subscription address be
> changed?

It should fail regardless of whether the request to confirm is initiated
by a list header (Subscription= Open,confirm), as it is now, or manually
by a List Owner.

If Lsoft granted access to List Owners to initiate an ADD-confirm, I would
insist that it be the default method to be used by all List Owners when
manually adding subscribers to a mailing list -- I hope they would
provide a list header (Add-confirm= Yes|No) or make "add-confirm" part of
the existing Default-Options.  Some advantages:

1. I would get less complaints from off campus sites when a faculty member
comes back from a conference with his or her list of a few thousand e-mail
address to add to a mailing list; many of which aren't even readable and
get guessed at anyway.  The list owner would be far less frustrated as
well.

2. Reduction of bounces/errors. Bad addresses that cannot be confirmed
just don't get added period and don't get *any* subsequent list mail (that
currently waits for the auto-delete or list owner to take action). This
seems to me to be far more efficient.

3. The list header or default-option above could turn the confirmation off
for internal course mailing lists or in cases where subscribers are added
from an internal database with valid addresses.

4. Reduction of complaints from on and off campus; this isn't listserv's
job, but the side benefit would be that our policy of not adding
subscribes to mailing lists without their explicit permission would come
closer to a reality. Currently, they get added, receive much list mail,
and need to complain before they are removed.

5. Reduce bounce/error traffic significantly as more listserv sites used
add-confirm when adding subscribers manually.

6. It would reduce the trouble shooting time spent by list owners who do
currently add incorrect addresses which are forwards to correct addresses;
it puts the onus on the subscribers for providing correct addresses that
they can indeed confirm.

My thoughts in support of this access.

--Trish