June Genis <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Apr 87 08:29:01 PDT
REPLY TO 04/15/87 00:44 FROM [log in to unmask]: Re: PEERS NAMES

> If a user wants to know if there is something about VAXes on
> LISTSERV but his "home" server does not have such a list, he would
> be able to request this info to his server and then REV one of the
> indicated lists to see if it was what he was searching -- (assuming
> that headers were informative, which is a completely different story
> ;-)).
>
> Jose Maria

An alternate approach is to have one single site that users can look
to for such information.  That is the obvious intent of LISTSERV
GROUPS.  Ignoring traffic issues the biggest problem I see with this
file currently is that it is usually well behind the available
information that's really out there.  Personally, I think both
approaches are worth having and it would be nice if we could also
come up with a better way of keeping LISTSERV groups up to date.
One of the problems with the distributed approach is that I'm on a
different server for almost every list I'm on.  That is also a
confusing situation for the novice list user.  Just which machine is
"my" server anyway?     /June

To:  [log in to unmask]