Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Jul 90 10:59:36 EST
On Sat, 28 Jul 90 23:49:00 EDT Dimitri Vulis said:
>How about doing the reverse --- requiring that all mail generated by
>vacation-type programs be identified as such in the header (e.g. 'Content-type:
>Vacation notice' or 'Precedence: total junk' or some such. Then LISTSERV (and
>non-CMS mailing list bouncers) would simply look for this line, and list owners
>/ postmasters would be fully justified in flaming folks/sites that run
>non-complying vacation programs. One could start by making appropriate
>modifications to the widely used 'vacation' program.

They might be "fully justified", but they might also be wholly
ineffectual, too.  I think it would take just about an RFC to get people
to agree a) it's a problem and b) this is the solution.  Getting some set
of widely used "vacation" programs to comply initially would be a good
start, though, depending on how widely used they all are (especially, not
just BITNET!).

>Dimitri Vulis
Nick Laflamme