Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 May 2001 09:28:42 -0400
A simple way to get the subscriber count per list, just send  SHOW POINTS ALL to the list server, and chop off the summary section at the bottom.

On Sun, 6 May 2001, Roger Fajman wrote:

> LCMD puts a command in LISTSERV's queue and the result is emailed back
> to the userid that LCMD ran under.  You probably want the LCMDX command
> that's described in the LISTSERV Developer's Guide.

Thanks Roger. I compiled lcmdx as per the directions in the Developer's
Guide. I was then able to get an interactive response by sending the
Listserv here some rudimentary commands such as "list", but its still not
what I am looking for. The lcmdx utility is a big step in the right
direction, but what I also need to do is get back an interactive response
from a command such as

  lcmdx cronkite address passwd query listname for *@*

when I issue this command, I get something like a "no match" message, but
when I issue a slightly different command such as:

  lcmdx cronkite address passwd query listname for *

I think what happens is that the Unix shell on our Listserv is replacing
the asterisk with the name of every file in our Listserv's home directory
then trying to query that list for a subscription for the "address" field
in the lcmdx command rather than just querying the particular "listname"
for all of its subscriptions. I then get a shit load of email messages
about attempts to query lists that do not exist, and of course, those
queries are being forwarded to the Listserv backbone. That's clearly not
what I want!

What I want to do is write two functions. The first function returns the
number of subscriptions in a given list. To do this, I figured I would
issue Listserv a "query listname for *@*" command and "grep -c \@"  the
results to derive the number of subscriptions on the list in question, or
something along those lines.

The other function, I want to write, mainly out of curiosity, returns a
list of subscribers to a particular list and each subscriber's options. I
want this information returned in a set of arrays. This function is a bit
ambitious, but it would let me generate some reports that management here
might go ga ga over such as the number of lists, average subscriptions per
list, number of subscriptions set to nomail, and so on.

I figure with these two functions, I can generate a very nice report
on our Listserv's subscription status at any one time.

When I get that done, I plan to work on a PERL script that parses our
Listserv log file to report on actual Listserv traffic for a given day.
For now, I am just looking to improve our subscription activity reports.

Has anyone done this?