David Sitman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 15:18:23 IST
On Sun, 17 Mar 1996 23:20:20 EST Roger Fajman said:
>I get a fair number of these bounce messages that appear to be
>caused by people sending messages to LISTSERV as if they were
>talking to a person.  When the message beigins with the word
>"To", the undocumented LISTSERV TO command causes the reply
>to be redirected to a garbase address.  I've corresponded with
>Eric about this, asking that the TO command be removed or renamed.
>He said that he is concerned that there might be someone using it
>somewhere and would like to heear from other LISTSERV maintainers
>before doing something about the problem.  So I'm here asking if
>others see the same problem.

Yes, I have the same problem and I complained about it 2 years ago
to no avail. The TO command prefix isn't exactly "undocumented"; it
appears in the release notes around 1.6b-1.6c, as I recall. Over a
year ago, I asked on this list if anyone was using the TO command,
and the only response I got was to the effect that "there is no TO
command." The specific problem with bounced mail from the unknown
users [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] comes from the confirmation
letter sent to users who ask to subscribe to a list which is
"Subscription= Open,Confirm", so I would guess that any postmaster
who has lists like this gets some bounces. I get about 10 of these
a week.

I would certainly like to see the TO command prefix removed.

David Sitman
Tel Aviv University