Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:53:59 +1100
> >2.  What about configuring the machine so that SMTPL.EXE can
> have port 25
> >all to itself for incoming mail and the Microsoft SMTP
> service can use port
> >26?
>
> Port 25 is the standard port for SMTP mail.  Assuming you can
> configure the MS
> SMTP service to run on Port 26, how will other mail servers
> around the world
> know that for your serer only they must use Port 26 (or
> whatever other prot
> you decide to use.  It should be a port > 1024 as all ports < 1024 are
> reserved for various uses).

This wouldn't be our primary MTA, it would be used *exclusively* for the
outbound transport of LISTSERV mail so there's no need for other mail
servers to connect into it.  I'm assuming all I would need to do is change
our MX records so all mail addressed to listserv.towersoft.com.au would go
to our LISTSERV machine and be picked up by SMTPL.EXE.  When LISTSERV is
sending out it could connect to the MS SMTP service *on the same machine*
via a different port thus getting around the Windows limitation.  There
would be some extra resource overhead, of course, but our lists are low
volume enough that this wouldn't matter.

Please let me know if there's any errors in my thinking.

> >3.  Can LISTSERV hand off outgoing mail via port 26?
>
> Yes.

Where do I specify this?

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.