"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Thu, 20 Apr 89 19:11:23 GMT
The purpose of  this note is to  answer the questions asked  by several people
about the present  delays in getting files DISTRIBUTEd from  the US to Europe,
and vice-versa. There  are two causes to  this problem. The first  one is that
the BITNIC CPU is  too small for the load it is getting,  and that its link to
CUNY is  also too slow. But  today the major  delays are in Europe,  where the
"hub" LISTSERV backbone node is FRULM11. Although the node is quite stable and
their staff has never  failed to take action whenever they  were notified of a
problem, the CPU is  simply too slow for the amount of jobs  it is getting (we
are talking  about over 5000  a day),  and its connection  to the rest  of the
network is via  a 9.6k line. LISTSERV@FRULM11 is still  processing the backlog
caused by an interruption of service  at FRORS12 last weekend, and is probably
flirting with the 9900 spoolids limit as I type these lines.

I  have analyzed  the situation  and  there is  unfortunately no  satisfactory
solution. Temporarily changing FRULM11 to DISTRIBUTE(NO), or changing the link
weights, would  only move  the totality  of the load  to another  EARN server:
TREARN, HEARN, DEARN, depending  on the new set of weights.  There is only one
solution that  would spread  the load across  several servers:  nullifying the
weight of the CUNY-MOP link (now 75) and setting all the other weights so that
all the hub European  servers lay at the same distance  from CUNY. There would
then be  'N' files sent  from BITNET to  EARN rather than  1, but the  CPU and
outbound files load would not hit a single machine. But this change would have
other  implications, like  causing European  subscribers to  be assigned  to a
BITNET peer  or vice-versa.  You can imagine  the political  consequences that
this might have, and I want to stay clear of that.

It could be argued that there may be better machines than FRULM11 to take that
load, but unfortunately there is none that is clearly better. The requirements
are a fast (or at least  lightly-loaded), non volume-charged connection to the
EARN backbone, a  fast CPU and the  willingness to burn a large  amount of CPU
cycles for the network, a large spool  with no more than 1000-2000 local files
at any  time or  a version  of VM that  can handle  more than  9900, excellent
availability  and, above  all,  responsible staff  willing  to take  immediate
action if  there is an  urgent problem.  I know of  no node meeting  all these
requirements,  especially  as  this  would mean  dramatically  increasing  the
traffic on  a given international  line in order  to provide service  to other
countries, thereby  greatly reducing the  bandwidth available to users  of the
local  country -  more political  problems, which  lead me  to think  that the
wisest thing to do is to leave things as they are.

Finally, I  would like  to remind  you that FRULM11  is a  "private" computing
centre having  no obligation to take  that load (unlike DEARN,  CEARN, BITNIC,
etc,  whose only  purpose is  to do  this kind  of things).  They have  kindly
accepted  to do  so, because  of their  advantageous topological  location, in
order to  help the network to  solve its chronic line  saturation problems. We
should all remember this when we complain about their CPU being slower than we
would like it to be.

Cheers, Eric