Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:38:41 -0400
text/plain (28 lines)
After a few practice runs, I have most of the migration steps going from old server to new, and most of the basic functionality is there.  But have a few remaining quirks where I could use some pointers.

(1) Web interface, not logged in as anyone, subscribers corner, show 'All lists' tells me "There are no public lists on this server. Please Log in to manage your list subscriptions."  That's not correct.

(2) Web interface, not logged in, "Server Archives" does give me a list of the archives for my public lists, so at least it knows they are there.  I can then pick a list and get it's home page, and click "Join or Leave the list" and I'm presented with a subscription page.  This seems to indicate the lists are intact, the archives are intact, yet the 'subscribers corner' says there are no public lists.

And finally, the "big one"...

We are pretty heavily involved in "The Kludge" :-)  This has had a bearing on us avoiding an update for so long.  I know this has been discussed at length, and I've gone through the archives and Eric's notes and other sources and I end up a little more confused than when I started.  The current manual seems to even imply that the Kludge is back and acceptable (?)

Lots of our lists use this (the Classic Kludge, if I understand correctly):

FOO-LIST contains
>  Subscription= Open,Confirm
>  Send= Editor,Hold       Editor= [log in to unmask],(FOO-LIST)

and this would translate into what 14.4 equivalent?  List members can post, non-members posts are forwarded to me for review?  Send= Private plus what?

Some others use what may be a Modified Kludge:

FOO-LIST contains
>  Subscription= Open,Confirm
>  Send= Editor,Hold       Editor= [log in to unmask],(FOO-POSTERS)

Same here, only FOO-POSTERS is a legitimate list of privileged people that can post, not just a kludge.

Jeff

ATOM RSS1 RSS2