Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:23:08 -0500
   I apologize that this is NOT strictly a LISTSERV(tm) question
per se but I've now run into this with two different owners and
I can't seem to find any good information via google, vendor
searches, or from local IT support staff so I thought I'd turn to
the real experts who might have run into this.

   This first appeared a month or so ago when I was showing a new
owner how to use the web interface (we're still on 1.8d, IIS4).
We tried using her MS IE browser but the URL for
   http://listserv.nodak.edu/scripts/wa.exe?LMGT1
was rejected with an "invalid parameter" error.  I noticed in the
"Address:" field that the LMGT1 had been changed to lower case!
We just used Netscape since she had that on the machine.  I did
a little checking to no avail but figured that was just one
messed up machine since none of our other hundreds of owners
had reported this.

   Then a couple days ago I ran into this with another owner.
In this case she could get in fine using another PC that they
swore was ghosted from the same image (a coworker).  This user
was using W2K, MS IE 5 (but they have since updated it to IE 6
which still shows the problem).  This user does use Outlook
and the first one uses Outlook Express.  She did say when she
moved the mouse over the link to the owner LMGT1 page (e.g.
on the .../wa.exe page) it showed up as upper case on the
bottom of the window but when she clicked it the result was
the invalid parameter error.  This user is a couple hundred
miles away but she also said at one point she did get a login
prompt but was thrown to the wa.exe page and then couldn't
get to the owner LMGT1 as noted.

   Has anyone seen this sort of behavior?  As far as I know
URLs should be case preserved and I can't figure out what would
"undo" that.  I didn't see an IE setting to "change everything
to lower case" to turn off.  ;-)

   Again, I apologize for the off-topic note but if you have
run into this specific problem and corrected it please let me
know (after all, someone else might run into it too).

   Thank you!    Marty