Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:58:18 -0500
On 1/11/2007 14:05, Tom Kozma wrote:
> We have been having a problem with legitimate mail to several of our larger
 > lists (10,000+ subscribers) being mistaken as spam by our mail system's spam
 > filter.
>
> Has anyone experienced this type of thing with large lists, or does anyone
 > have suggestions on what to do?
>
> We have raised the junk mail score threshhold and that has helped. But I'm
 > wondering if there might be a way to make the list mail less spammy, so it
 > doesn't get as high a score in the first place.

If I understand the problem description correctly, messages posted to lists
hosted at your site are being classified as spam by your site's spam filter.

The systems in our central mail cluster, including the list server, are
configured to deliver mail directly to one another, rather than through
the anti-spam appliance which serves as our MX host. Thus, most messages
from local senders or lists to local recipients bypass our spam filter.

There are mail servers in our network which perform full DNS MX resolution,
rather than using our central SMTP service as a smart host. Consequently, we
have white-listed our net block on the anti-spam appliance, so that messages
delivered to the anti-spam appliance by local systems will not be classified
as spam.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team