Dennis Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:23:08 -0400
 >   It is a church related listserv with 3 lists.

 >    One for the Ladies, one for General Discussion and
 >   another for Youth and Adults together. About 435
 >   subscribers combined.  We're innocent,,

AOL appears to be constitutionally incapable of distinguishing between a
spammer and anyone trying to send any message to more than about one
[log in to unmask]  Add in the fact that nearly any mailing list will have
roughly 5% of its subscribers on AOL addresses, and life gets
interesting.  Worse yet, it used to be that if an AOL user didn't
specifically remove stuff that was marked spam from their spam folder,
AOL silently took that as confirmation that they thought the mail was
spam.  (I don't know if that's still true.)  Worst of all, the
thresholds they use for making some of their filtering decisions seem to
be stupidly low.

They've got a way to register as a "bulk sender", whereby you basically
swear that you're a spammer, but you'll be good, and they loosen the
rules a bit.  Trouble is it all assumes you're sending commercial stuff,
and has no categories or checkboxes for discussion lists like we run, or
like what you appear to run.

It can help to insert SPF records into your DNS zone.

Dennis Boone
H-Net