Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 May 1993 15:27:39 EDT
On Thu, 13 May 1993 14:55:34 EDT Jim Cocks said:
> ... It has been observed recently that when one invokes the
>get listname filelist command that the filelist received contains
>duplicate entries...  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Yup.  Sounds like when you added files to your filelist, you did not get a
copy of the filelist with the CTL option.  There are two kinds of filelists.
One kind is LISTSERV's copy, which does NOT have the log files (there are
other differences as well, such as the way FACs are displayed).  The other
kind is what LISTSERV returns when you request an index, either via the INDEX
command or via a non-prived GET listname FILELIST command.  The index of LOG
files is built dynamically when this index is requested.

If you have to make changes to your filelist, you must edit LISTSERV's copy -
the copy without the LOG files.  If you edit the wrong one and send it back,
then you have added the LOG files into the filelist, PLUS LISTSERV will still
dynamically build and append the index of logs when a user requests the index,
thus you will see duplicate entries.

At this point it's a real mess to fix.  If you have a backup of the filelist
before it got corrupted, it may be easier to go that route.  Anyhow, to fix
it manually, try this:

-Do a GET CARR-L FILELIST (CTL
-Edit out the header line and the entire blurb about the GET/PUT auth codes.
 (LISTSERV adds these things dynamically as well).
-Delete the Notebook Archives header lines and all the CARR-L LOGyymm entries.

Then put the now rather short filelist back.

It wouldn't hurt to clean up the FILEID file as well.

Bill Gruber
City University of New York Computer Center