Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Listserv Manager <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:56:33 -0400
text/plain (1 lines)
Really appreciated all of the responses!

Managed to get back to this. Have a script that could count instances, realizing this problem affects editors and moderators as well.  I have almost 3000 owner lines with commas, 600+ editor lines, and 100 moderator lines. I know manual editing is safer, but if I could do each one in 6 seconds, 10 per minute, 600 per hour, it would take 6+ hours. 6 seconds is not realistic.

I love the bulk edit program, but without regular expressions, I can't search- the text around the commas varies too much.

Liam's method has promise, except having done bulk processing of owner lines with scripts, getting a regex right doesn't seem like a slam dunk to me.

The fastest and safest method is probably a script that shows the original and the changed, and then asks if the change is ok. It's still probably hours (aside from getting the script ok). 

Still wondering why "Listserv" is happy with these files but the wizard is not. Seems inconsistent.

Nelson

-----Original Message-----

From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Listserv Manager

Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:52 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: 6.0 Configuration Wizard doesn't like our Owner Information

Wizard doesn't like our Owner Information

We just upgraded to 16.0 from 14.4, and I didn't pick up what is probably going to turn into a major problem for us. Many of our owner lines are of the form:

Owner= [log in to unmask]  (Joe Schlabotnik, 999-999-9999)

Manual edit is quite happy, but the wizard is not. The parser sees the comma, and whatever follows (in this case, 999-999-9999) becomes another owner! That is invalid, and when saving, throws an error. We have hundreds (probably over a thousand) in this format and have been that way "forever." School is about to open and lots of people are going to encounter this error- a problem for them and a public relations disaster for Listserv. Yeah, we should have picked this up earlier, but we were in a bit of a hurry to get upgraded, being so far behind.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance for your response.

Nelson

Nelson R. Pardee, Support Analyst, Information Technology and Services

Syracuse University, CST 1-205, Syracuse, NY 13244         (315) 443-1079

ATOM RSS1 RSS2