"Eric W. Tilenius" <EWTILENI@PUCC>
Tue, 29 Nov 88 23:15:49 EST
Recently, the COCO list (on LISTSERV at PUCC) was plagued by a run-away
auto-reply mailer which looped infinitely for a couple of days, flooding
over 100 messages back to the list and generating thousands of outbound
files.

In discussing this incident, and other such runaway problems we've had,
we have come to the conclusion that an excellent feature to prevent this
from happening would be a LIMIT on the number of files any one user could
send to the list during a given day (or 24 hour period).

There could be a default limit (say, 5), which could be overridden in
the list header, perhaps.  I don't think such a feature exists now, and
I'm not sure how hard it would be to program, but I know it will no doubt
save considerable net havoc.

There is currently a limit on the SIZE of the file from one user...  Would
it be possible to add a limit on the number of files from a particular
user?  Or, failing that, for the list owner to specify the maximum number
of files to go out per day?

- ERIC -

Eric W. Tilenius     | ColorVenture Software    | [log in to unmask]
Princeton University | 11 Prospect Drive South  | [log in to unmask]
332 Walker Hall      | Huntington Sta, NY 11746 | rutgers!pucc.bitnet!ewtileni
Princeton, NJ 08544  | 516-424-2298             | princeton!pucc!ewtileni
609-734-4911         | * Sft. for the CoCo 3 *  | CIS:  70346,16