Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 23:40:34 -0700
On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:30:18 -0800, Amanda Dahl <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>according to syslog, the messages are reaching listserv.

syslog will tell you if sendmail processed the message, but you need to look in
the LISTSERV log to see if LISTSERV actually processed the message.

>after i sent my original message out, i went and looked at the lsmtp
>machine. it's queue is HUGE. 133K recipients, 20K+ messages. i suppose that
>might be the hold up. is there anything i can do to speed up the queue?

My guess is the LSMTP queue is filled with non-deliverable mail.  If the
outbound active threads are less that the outbound thread limit, and smaller
than the number of SMTP destinations (3rd column, I don't care about #messages
or #recipients) then it is all mail not yet delivered but which is being retried
and retried again.  In short, it cannot be speeded up and it is not delaying the
normal flow of mail.  Note if you are running LISTSERV on unix, there are
several parameters in go.user that must be changed to optimize LISTSERV's
outgoing mail for use with LSMTP.  LISTSERV on unix is normally configured for
sendmail and the settings are quite different from those needed for LSMTP.  We
need to see your  go.user file (please set CREATEPW=XXXXXXXXX) to comment
further.

If you want to discuss tuning of LSMTP on [log in to unmask] then you
can post your config.dat file there and we can discuss it.