Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:50:11 -0400
On: Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 05:44:36PM -0400,Tim Casten Wrote:

} LSTSRV-L,
}
}   Have a strange problem that started right after my last lsoft
}   upgrade on march 9th. i installed the newest update.
}
}   Anyway here is what is going on the lsmtp console is showing about
}   7000 messages in and out a minute, and showing a constant 180 smtp
}   in and out connections.
}
}   Top thread count has reached the 500 mark and usually stays around
}   110
}
}   So first reaction we are being attacked.
}
}   Checked the firewall at the server level nothing coming in to that
}   particular server.  checked with our rack hosting company and they
}   see nothing abnormal.
}
}   completely disconnected lsmtp from lsoft and shutdown lsoft services
}   and the connections continued to climb.  we have lsmtp logs in the
}   range of 2 gigs per day.
}
}   So it appears that something internally with lsmtp is sending
}   messages within itself from the server.
}
}   also the domains that are making the multiple connections are
}   showing
}
}   localhost.ultrarpm.com
}   and
}   localhost.fabulous.com
}
}   over and over again however like i said they are not coming from
}   outside they are coming from within the machine

Could someone in your local LAN have a virus thats trying to spread
spam?  or itself?

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67