Niall O'Reilly <EARNUCD@IRLEARN>
Sat, 11 Feb 89 01:48:07 GMT
For interworking with lists on other networks, I've found it necessary
in some cases to have two lists, of which one is local and the other
global.  The global list has as members local lists all over the world,
including my local list, and people subscribe only to the local lists.

This scheme has the disadvantage that people must subscribe to one list,
and mail to the other.  I've just implemented a solution to this problem
by including the following code fragment in LSVSUBSC and in LSVDEL.

This code processes a proposed new value for the Subscription keyword,
redirecting any request for subscription or deletion to the local list,
which must be managed by the same LISTSERV.

 sub = lsvkeywd(listname,'SUBSCRIPTION') listname
 do while word(sub,1) = 'REDIRECT'     /* allow multiple redirection */
    listname = word(sub,2)
    if listname = '' then exit         /* fall off edge of world */
    sub = lsvkeywd(listname,'SUBSCRIPTION')
    end

If you are familiar with how LISTSERV works, you will see where to insert
this fragment near the top of LSVSUBSC and of LSVDEL, after the arguments
have been parsed.  If you do this, you do so entirely at your own risk,
of course: I don't support Eric's code, and I don't expect him to support
mine.

I take the opportunity of placing this fragment of code in the public
domain.

Niall