"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 18:31:45 EST

In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Ronald W. RItchey"
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>Could someone explain the difference between Internet and BITNET?

Not in 25 words or less.  The former is a packet-switched network
based upon (usually) dedicated routers, good for things like mail,
file xfers, interactive logons.  The latter, is store-n-forward
via "mainframe" general-purpose computers.  Services offered thru
bitnet are generally file xfer and e-mail, but not a generic
interactive logon.

>You cand get a list of all the BITNET discussion lists by sending
>the message 'LIST GLOBAL' to a backbone server. How can you get
>a list of all the Internet discussion groups, or are they the same
>as BITNET?

There is NO official repository for Internet lists, just informal db.
Some lists are handled by automation, some are e-mail config files.
Some are on Internet-connected hosts, and some are gatewayed from Bitnet
or other -nets.

In general bitnet lists are handled by software called Revised LISTSERV,
developed by Eric Thomas.  100's of VM sites run compatible versions of
this software and each "knows" where all the other LISTSERVs are located
and which public lists (CONFIDENTIAL= NO) that each maintains.  This
distributed knowledge is propagated, usually over night.

Internet list automation processes are varied and often dissimilar.
There's a FAQ available that describes those.

>We have a discussion list at UNL called CRUISE-L that shows up
>when you do a 'TELL LISTSERV AT UIUCVM42 LIST GLOBAL' but
>it doesn't show up when you do a 'TELL LISTSERV AT BITNIC LIST
>GLOBAL', why is that? Doesn't LIST GLOBAL list all the available

That's because the list has been marked CONFIDENTIAL= YES, but
does not restrict bitnet users at the same node as your LISTSERV
from observing it since THAT IS the host where it is maintained.

>lists? How can I get a complete list of all the discussion groups
>out there (BITNET and Internet)?

For hints on how to start, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
with the single line-of-text

GET LISTSOF LISTS f=mail

/Pete ([log in to unmask])  --  co-owner  LDBASE-L, TQM-L, CPARK-L, et -L
--
Peter M. Weiss         "The 'NET' never naps"             +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA