Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 22:29:53 -0600
On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:12:45 -0700, Senthil Rajasekharan
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>From the various listserv docs that I have read,
>one-way announce only lists seem to capable of doing
>this ??

They can, yes.

>I was suggested to use the listserv DISTRIBUTE job
>with either a DBMS backed or "traditional list"
>subscriber base. Assuming, Iam using a "traditional
>list" to get the recipient list using the
>DBMS=LIST(XYZ) option of the DIST command,

DISTRIBUTE job mailings and List mailings are 2 mutually exclusive ways to
send out mailing jobs.  Use one or the other.

>Do I need to create a separate list for each
>newsletter ?

Yes, if you use list mailings.  No, if you use DBMS-based DISTRIBUTE job
mailings.  (See Chap 3 and Chap 4.6 of the LISTSERV Developers Guide).

>The recipient list changes every day and management of
>this subscription base is done outside of listserv. Is
>a bulk ADD and bulk DELETE the best option to update
>the recepient list and keep it current?

No.  In this case you would probably do better to use DBMS-based DISTRIBUTE
job mailings, using a SELECT statement, pulling addresses directly from the
database.  I am assuming that subscription management is done in the
database.  I am also assuming there is some database field that determines
which newsletter(s) a subscriber should get.  Using LISTSERV lists in this
way (daily update, where you never intend to keep and manage the lists in
LISTSERV) is simply a lot of extra work to go to.

>How do I control where the bounces of each newsletter
>go ? Is this something that I can do at each list
>level or at the job level ?

List-level if using mailing lists.  Job-level if using DBMS-based DISTRIBUTE
job mailings.  (See Chap 3.5.1 of LISTSERV Developers Guide).