Turgut Kalfaoglu <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Nov 1992 08:42:06 NFT
I see the point in both cases - the name "Revised LISTSERV" comes
from the fact that there used to be (before my time :) another LISTSERV
(at BITNIC?) that had the right idea, but Eric improved it much more
with his new server, so he called it "Revised." So, the _name_ LISTSERV
existed before Revised Listserv.

Having said that, let me do a complete detour now:
Revised LISTSERV is hugely popular, and tons of users are
using it, and are USED to its command syntax and behavior.

I think it would be a BAD IDEA to make an "almost compatible" server
and call it LISTSERV now, it would confuse the hell out of users
who are used to sending a SUB, LIST, whatever to a LISTSERV, and seeing
it work.

Even now, years after the split of R.Listserv and Listearn, we still
get mailed which was meant to be sent to the "other" person-in-charge,
and it would just get worse if a third one was added - using the same
name, and I have been trying to specify LISTEARN whenever possible
to reduce the confusion.

Just my $.02's worth.. -turgut