Trevor C Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Jan 1994 12:54:18 EST
Hi,

Here at Ferris we just got up and running on the Internet.

Fact is we have been on a while but have just registered our DNS
and changed our Bitnet domain entry to MX and Harvard/Berkely have
dropped our MX records.

This is all hunky-dory inasmuch as Internet originated mail now seems
to be coming into our  DNS as one would expect instead of thru an
Interbit site.

Now, what I want to do next is to have all our Bitnet based Listserv
subscriptions that are using domain style addressing (In our case
[log in to unmask]) to send the mail also via Internet where possible

It would seem reasonable that we could have Listserv do this.
At present we have an :internet. tag in bitearn nodes with
the Music.Ferris.Edu alias in it.

Assuming we get this out next month how will LISTSERV behave ?

a. We will be registered as a domain within Bitnet with Interconnect
   set to MX(Ferris.Edu)
b. We will have ( Ihope) :Internet tag dropped from Bitearn Nodes file
c. We will have many subs on listservs around Bitnet with

Will Listserv/Mailer attempt to deliver via NJE or will it attempt
to send out via SMTP gateway somewhere, which seems preferable.

We are at the end of a 7 node branch and our neighbour upstream was
down for several days recently and gobs of mail got hung up at
upstream sites. It would seem reasonable that most of our mail would
have got through if the listservers sent to SMTP wherever possible.

Is there a law somewhere that says this is a no-no, either within
Listserv code or just a de facto "standard" that prevents a listserver
delivering via Internet when NJE is available ?

I guess Internet might squeak a bit at that and off course some poor
gateway(s) somewhere gets extra traffic but as it looks as if most of
the traffic might end up on Internet anyway as people migrate off
Bitnet, why worry ?

Just wondering if I should expect to see extra DNS traffic within a
month or two.

Trevor C Poole
Ferris State