Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM@WUVMD>
Thu, 23 Jul 87 17:25:32 CST
>>  PUTALL acts as a PUT with FAC  validation overriden and will invoke the File
>>Access Validation  exit which, in our  case, issues a NODESGEN  WTONLY command
>>itself. The  password required is  that associated with  the FAC of  the first
>>filelist up the tree structure that you were allowed to PUT, ie the CTL FAC in
>>our case. CTL maps to "any postmaster" including cc ones, so it should require
>>the createpw which all postmasters are supposed to know.
>
>Oh of course, silly me. Intrinsically obvious to the casual observer, that.
>Seriously, howz about a 'sledgehammer password' for the local postmaster(s)?
>(or is there one already & I just haven't found it in the docs..?)
>
>/jenny

Eric--the creatpw doesn't work for me.  I get rejection mail.

I've always operated under the assumption that the "creatpw" was a sort of
sledgehammer pw.  It's never failed me before.  I must admit that all these
FACs and PWs etc. confuse me.  Would it be a lot of trouble to have personal
passwords and have LISTSERV worry about whether the person issuing the command
was authorized?  Then I could use one pw in all of my capacities--postmaster,
listowner and user.

Also, why are we retrieving this file?  I thought the auto-updates would keep
me current.  I notice that my PEERS NAMES file is pretty old (so old that it
doesn't contain my LISTSERV!).  Should I get and install a more recent
one?  Where is the definitive source?

stm