Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 31 May 1992 16:44:59 +0200
On Thu, 21 May 1992 14:25:15 EDT Jim Gerland - User Support Services
<GERLAND@UBVM> said:

>On Thu, 21 May 1992 13:15:29 CDT Marty Hoag said:
>>   I think LISTSERV may be getting confused because you have both
>>SKYBLU and ARIZVMS with CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU in their Internet tag.
>>I doubt that LISTSERV expects more than one real node per alias in its
>>look up and that seems reasonable to me.
>
>I don't think that's it since I have :Internet.ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu for
>4 of my VAXcluster machines (UBVMS,UBVMSB,UBVMSC,UBVMSD).

Well, you must be lucky then. LISTSERV  doesn't know what to do when more
than one NJE node claims to have a given Internet address. The tag can be
used for conversions in both directions, and if several nodes specify the
same Internet address,  there is no telling which one  LISTSERV will pick
up as the NJE equivalent. Generally  speaking, this can lead to all sorts
of unexpected behaviour; just imagine what happens if UBVMSC is picked up
in may and UBVMSD is chosen in june due to the order in which they appear
in the internal hashed tables  LISTSERV generates. You should change your
internet tags as follows:

UBVMS: :internet.ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu ubvmsb.bitnet ubvmsc.bitnet etc
UBVMSx: remove the tag

>I sent Beth a note directly wondering  if it might be case sensitive but
>I'm quite  sure Eric  does his sring  compares without  case sensitivity
>when he is checking the node part.

Correct.

  Eric