Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 11:22:41 EST
On Fri, 24 Feb 1995 18:35:18 GMT John Stewart said:
>My personal opinion based on my experience supporting mailing lists
>(using the Unix Listprocessor software) and as a Usenet News Administrator
>is that many of the mailing lists which currently exist should be replaced
>with newsgroups.  Newsgroups are far less of a hassle to support and make
>more efficient use of network bandwidth and machine resources.
>
>Mailing lists are still the best option for
>   1) very specialized topics that will only attract a small number
>      of participants.
>   2) private discussion where subscribers are added by invitation only
>      or screened in some way.

Speaking as  the custodian  of Temple University's  Listserv, which  puts out
around 80K  msgs per  day lately, I  can tell you  that costs  for supporting
Listserv are very real, however, there are also many benefits to be gained by
hosting  a Listserv.  Several years  ago, when  we first  got Usenet  service
here,  I was  down on  Listserv, but  now that  I have  experience with  both
medium, my views have changed considerably.

What people outside of Temple cannot see is that there are dozens of Listserv
lists  here   which  are  devoted   to  instructional  purposes   within  our
University. These  lists are used to  by students and instructors  in various
courses  to discuss  their  course  lectures. The  power  of  Listserv as  an
instructional tool is  incredible. We also use Usenet for  the same thing and
I can  see plenty of  evidence that Usenet  is not as  good a venue  for this
stuff  as  Listserv.  I  am  not  sure  why  though.  Because  of  Listserv's
pedigogical  value, I  am able  to justify  keeping it,  however, I  am still
negotiating with  management regarding strategies  for improving the  way our
Listserv and SMTP agent disperse outbound  mail. One of the long-term options
I plan to explore  is moving to a non-VM version of  Listserv, but that's not
something I am prepared to do any time soon.

Eric (or maybe  someone else) said that Temple is  closing some lists. Here's
the situation: I asked  the owners of two of Temple's 100+  lists to find new
homes for  those lists because I  know full well that  I will not be  able to
justify keeping them here when I meet  with my Vice President to discuss this
situation. I am,  however, trying to avoid  closing any other lists  and I am
reasonably certain  that I will  succeed in that regard.  I have also  put my
Help-Net  list  on hold  during  the  day to  ease  the  load on  Princeton's
resources until  the changes  we need  to make here  are authorized  and than
implemented. I  also will  refuse requests from  non-Temple people  to create
new lists here simply because I think  Temple is already doing its bid toward
contributing to  the Listserv  network given  that we  handle so  much volume
now.

My point in this message is to encourage other schools to buy Eric's Listserv
software. Thus  far, its  seems much  more robust in  terms of  features than
Majordomo  and that  List-proc package.  Listserv  has a  lot of  pedigogical
potential  that can  easily  be justified  by organizations  who  are in  the
business  of education.  Having  Listserv here  at  Temple provides  Temple's
researchers and  students with  the possibility  of starting  Listserv groups
here for the benefit of research and scholarly studies that could not be done
without it. We  even have some faculty who use  Listserv's database functions
to pull  off groups of  postings (by grading  period) and use  their students
contributions as part of their grades.  This would not be possible with other
packages that are similar to Listserv.

Usenet  is also  not  a substitute  for  Listserv in  many  cases. There  are
several reasons why  I feel this way and  they all come from having  a lot of
experience  with both  media  from the  technical  point of  view  and in  my
graduate studies in educational psychology. Suffice  it to say that there are
many Usenet  groups which are  polluted by  off-topic postings and  where the
value of  those groups to  their regular  readers is often  minimal. Listserv
provides for a closed and controlled forum  where a List owner can have a lot
of control over his or her list; control that is not available on unmoderated
Usenet groups.

There  are certainly  many  Listserv lists  which could  be  moved to  Usenet
without a problem, but there are many  lists which would go down the tubes in
terms of the quality  of discourse if they were moved to  Usenet. Most of the
lists  at Temple  are examples  of lists  which would  not be  well-served as
Usenet groups in  my humble opinion. The  reasoon I say that  is because when
someone at Temple  asks me to start  a Listserv list for them,  I always give
them the  choice of going with  Usenet (I even  try to encourage it)  but few
people ever seem  interested in doing so  due to the highly  opened nature of
Usenet and the fact that creating a globally available Usenet group is a long
and drawn out process.

Being as though I  still haven't met with my department's  director or our VP
regarding Listserv's future here and the BITnet situation, these opinions are
entirely my own.  They're not a reflection  of Temple policy. Oh  by the way,
I have  no vested interest  in Listserv what-so-ever. I  am not one  of those
mysterious L-Soft  investors nor  does my  job here  depend on  the continued
availability of Listserv.  As such, I think  I can approach this  issue in an
objective manner.

Stan Horwitz, Consultant    | Bitnet           | Internet
Temple University           | V4039@TEMPLEVM   | [log in to unmask]

Manager of Help-Net and E-mail postmaster for VM.TEMPLE.EDU and TEMPLEVM