Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 May 90 21:14:58 O
>What will I (and people like me) do  when a new version or refresh of CP
>6 is incompatable with CMS 4 (or 5)?

That is very unlikely, fortunately.

>In other words, is  there any plans to support CMS 6,  at least the part
>of it that's necessary for LISTSERV (that is, no SFS, etc)?

There is no such  plan. First, I don't have a CMS6  system to test things
on. Second, there is no documentation  on the internals that got changed;
there is instead  documentation on the NUCON fields that  you are allowed
to use, and  the list is extremely  short - it does not  even include the
field which tells you  what release of CMS you are  using (and whether or
not the  wonderful new CPI calls  are available), and QUERY  CMSLEVEL can
give you  the answer in  japanese or urdu if  that is the  repository you
have loaded.  IBM has, basically,  said "you have  no need to  write code
that can work on  versions of CMS older than CMS6, and if  you try to, we
will not support  it; you should never call CMS  internal routines, first
you do not  need to because by  definition CMS is good enough  that it is
not necessary, and second with the new CPI you no longer need to anyway".

Finally, I  have reached  a state of  complete, total,  utter disillusion
regarding this  network where  I have  decided to  stop spending  time on
LISTSERV. I will  fix problems as they  arise when they are  easy to fix,
and provide new functions  that make my life easier when  I feel like it,
but I will stop investing energy in something which brings me little more
than problems and conflicts with politicians  - from both borders, it now
seems. I used to have plans of writing a version 2 in a compiled language
and selling it, but it doesn't  look like my immigration status in Sweden
will allow me to  do this kind of things before a  couple years at least,
which basically means it will never  happen. I could probably work out an
arrangement with the help of a  lawyer and a couple swedish citizens, but
that would require too  much energy - I'd get crazy if I  had to spend my
spare time  on legal  bull****. I  no longer care,  anyway. You  have the
sources, you can fix it yourself if you are not happy.

  Eric