"John F. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Feb 1991 13:00:48 EST
> Date:         Thu, 07 Feb 91 16:45:05 EST
> From:         Larry Snodgrass <SNODGRAS@BITNIC>
>
> I have stored the new version of DOMAIN NAMES on LISTSERV.  I am
> investigating how to automate the copying from NETSERV to LISTSERV
> for future versions.  If you have any hints I would be glad to hear
> them.

Every month, the new copies of DOMAIN NAMES and BITNET GATES are
updated on NETSERVs everywhere by automatic distribution, but the
copies on LISTSERV@BITNET seem to get updated by hand, and only if
someone remembers to do it.  I recall soliciting and forwarding advice
on how to automate this procedure to Mike Hrybyk when he was new on
the job, but it seems he never got anywhere with it.  Is it really
that difficult?

Through the years, I have kept my AFD subscriptions to DOMAIN NAMES
and BITNET GATES on LISTSERV@BITNIC because I believe LISTSERV spine
distribution is more efficient than NETSERV hub broadcasting,
particularly around the New England bottlenecks.  This still seems to
be true, even with the reorganization of routes in BITNET.  Thus, I
would very much like to see a reliable automatic update procedure on
[log in to unmask]  If anyone would suggest such a method (directly to
SNODGRAS@BITNIC), I think it would be a service to the community.
                                 John