Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:07:09 -0400
Well, the LISTSERV log file does give a distribution count for each
message that goes out, but you have to go look at the log to get the
number (and be host-system authorized to access the log file, typical
list owners usually are not).  And if there are digest or index mode
subscribers, the tally of those appears separately in the log at the
time the digest/index is generated and distributed, so you would have to
collect that number as well.  Can't think of anything that is going to
cause an email or other notification to be generated unless maybe you
write something to parse the logfiles just after midnight and produce
the report you're looking for, perhaps.

But for curiosity, would you mind elaborating on just what the actual
value is supposed to be, of knowing how many recipients there were for
any particular list distribution?

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/24/03 09:43AM >>>
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:24:04 -0400, Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>At 13:13 06/11/2003 Wednesday, Mark Schwarz wrote:
> >
> >What I would like to do is have ListServ send me a copy of the
message (I
> >am subscribed so that isn't an issue) along with the number of
subscribers
> >the message went to. Currently I must go to the list reporting panel
get
> >the counts.
> >
> >In my abscense, when someone else sends a message, I do not get an
accurate
> >count (unless I count new subscribers & subtract unsubscribers from
the
> >current day totals - not to mention the subscribers that ListServ
boots
> >from bad email addresses.
>
>But do they actually READ it??? ;-)
>
>All of this presupposes that the numbers that you see bear any
>relationship to reality.  They can only approximate, and you really
would
>need to do an analysis to validate your model.  E.g., I read some
lists
>via the WEB int.f (and I could be set to NOMAIL); or I might receive
the
>list distribution via a group remailer i.e., a list subscribed to a
list
>or gatewayed to a BBS.  Or the number might not include DIGEST/INDEX
>subscribers.
>
>If these numbers are of strategic value and are worth money to you,
maybe
>another of L-Soft's products might better suit?
>
>Otherwise:
>
>REV listname NOH SH
>Q listname WITH NOMAIL FOR *@*

Pete,

This works well but... I find that I need to send an additional message
ListServ to get the information. What I was looking for was a way to
add a
command to the configuration file of each list that would send a
message to
the owner informing them (me) of the count. Call me lazy, but this is
the
requirement, and I'm looking for the easy way out.

Can the commands above be added to the configuration? And if so what is
the
exact syntax?

Be gentle, I'm new at ListServ,
~Mark