Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 08:09:24 -0500
On 12/1/2005 06:00, Peter Quintus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there an easy way of blocking/refusing a certain IP address (or small
> range) to send emails to the smtp-listener ?
>
> Ever since the outbreak of the new Sober virus there are a couple of
> mailservers at a large Dutch provider that keeps on resending mails that
> already were distributed to the lists. People receive there multiple
> copies of emails (and as we have close to 100 lists with in total over
> 50K subscribers this is not funny anymore.
> Setting Filter_Also is not the solution as I will need to block the
> actual sending mailserver (not the user posting).
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated!

There are at least three ways to do this, but none of them involve LISTSERV.

1. Add the source IP address to the block list on the firewall at your
    network border.

2. Add the source IP address to the block list in the host firewall software
    on the mail server that accepts inbound mail for LISTSERV.

3. Add the source IP address to the block list in the access control table
    used by the mail server software on the mail server that accepts inbound
    mail for LISTSERV.

Implementation details vary, and are left as an exercise for the reader.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator