Mitch Rerek <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:02:22 -0400
I think that what Paul says is on the right track.
We have had several users here install iMesh, Kazaa and the like and CommonName come down with the download.
We have had multiple reports of 'invalid parameter' errors.
Based on my experience here, removing CommonName solved the error problem.
I took a look a our tracking DB and also noticed that this type of error was more prevalent with users WinXP and WinXP home OS's. I recall reading a note from someone (can't find it now) that CommonName intercepts certain pieces of info that the Browser relies on. Its either that or it passes some type of 'modified' data to the browser which causes it to choke.

Hope this helps.

Mitch Rerek
Senior Information Technology Consultant
West Virginia University

Check the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel on the user's computer for
a program called "CommonName", or something similar. I have seen similar
problem reports which were attributed to this piece of software. At least
one manufacturer may be installing it on new computers, and it is also
bundled with several popular "free" software downloads.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator