Hans-Ulrich Giese <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Nov 1990 08:26:20 MET
On Wed, 14 Nov 1990 17:34:56 +0100 you said:
>The VERS9012 update to BITEARN NODES contains duplicate links for certain
>nodes (all  of them from BITNET),  which could have resulted  in critical
>operational  problems for  LISTSERV if  we had  not been  very lucky.  My
>In  any case,  ALL  LISTSERV  sites may  want  to  monitor their  servers
>carefully until the problem is corrected.  Here is a list of the affected
>links:
>Two months  in a row,  now I'm getting  curious... What will  be UPDATE's
>Christmas present to  the network? I think I'd better  not be around when
>VERS9014 comes out.

eric (e.a.),
i think it's not so dangerous as you described it. i've just checked the
'old' vers9011 BITEARN NODES and it has most of the above mentioned errors
too (i haven't looked into my archives when this error occured first).

of course you are right pointing to this error. i will asap update the
VERNODES EXEC to check for this too. on the other hand we can never be
sure, to have 100% correct data (i'm telling this for years now). in
my opinion tools, servers etc. must be stable enough to deal with 'minor'
errors like this one (and in fact -as described above- they have dealed
with this error).

anyway as you have pointed out, BITNIC's procedure is in error and this
must be corrected immediatly. that only BITNIC nodes were affected seems
to me an indication that an automated procedure has not only benefits.
but maybe we (earnies) just had more luck ?

regards
-ulrich-