Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Sep 1993 15:39:05 CDT
   I know Eric isn't providing support to sites on unenlightened networks
but I'm hoping some of the rest of you might have run into this.

   We have a list which is trying to handle files with Japanese characters
encoded.  One problem we have run into is that they use the ESC character
(ASCII x'1B', EBCDIC x'27') in some of their lines.

   This causes no problems when storing files or retrieving files via
LISTSERV/LMAIL/SMTP nor when sending the file directly through LMAIL and
IBM's SMTP for VM.  However, when I try to send that same file in a message
to a list the ESC characters are changed to spaces.  I was surprised because
I didn't expect the list processing to be much different than file processing
via e-mail, etc.

   Is this a feature?  Is it controllable?  I have Files= No as I do
with almost all my lists (no sense helping out things like ZT EXEC)
but that shouldn't matter since I'm just sending mail to the list and
including the file in the body.

   Any hints would be helpful.  Thanks!   marty