Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 15:29:07 -0400
On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 14:25:38 -0400, Ricardo Stella said:

> Recompile sendmail?  Haven't done that in ages to be honest...  I use stock
> RHEL 6.   Can't this be done via m4?

No, because it isn't a config file change, it's a source file change.

And no, you don't want to do it in the .cf file, because the .cf parser is an
evil beast that looks the way it does because Eric Allman originally designed
it so it could be quickly interpreted on a Vax 750 some 3 decades ago.  As a
result, its handling of $+ and $* and all the rest is almost, but not quite,
what you need here. You're welcome to try to hack up rulesets SParse1 and
Slocaladdr to do what's needed.  It *will* require at least one bottle of
bourbon or similar. It may look like it's almost the same as plussed user
addresses, except Ruleset 5 does +-handling *after* aliases have been expanded,
and this needs to happen *before* aliases expand.  The other problem is that +
addressing you know that you have  user+extra@address, while for this, the
parse is ambiguous in the case of a list the name has a hyphen in it.

(What, you don't think we considered doing it in m4 before resorting to
carrying a source patch around for the last 2 decades? And no, it will never
go into Sendmail - I personally discussed that with Eric Allman and Claus
Assman over dinner many moons ago, and there's no way to do the patch in
a way that's distro-safe to enable, so those who need it would have to
rebuild their Sendmail package *anyhow*.)