Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 9 Jan 88 16:44:09 SET
1. Your problem is that the gateway sending the mailfile out is not
   officially registered in BITEARN NODES (ie XMAILER NAMES). Thus the
   NJE origin is not a trusted one and does not match the RFC822 origin,
   which is what LISTSERV calls a nasty hacker trying to send a command
   for someone else. A good solution is to modify the gateway code so
   that it sends mail through an official BITNET mailer, using BSMTP.
   This has other advantages, such as allowing the destination site to
   process local aliases (like POSTMASTER) instead of directly dropping
   mail in a (truncated) local mailbox which might or might not exist.

3. In UNIX Land, 'Thomas' is not the same userid as 'thomas' or 'THOMAS'.
   Thus,  if you  send mail  to 'THOMAS',  it won't  get to  'thomas' nor
   'Thomas', which are  two different persons. My  personal reaction was,
   how would you like it if the postman decided to put to the trash every
   piece of  snailmail that was  sent to you  with uppercase name?  I got
   flamed so much that I decided to support mixed-case addresses. But you
   have to be consistent with yourself: if 'THOMAS' and 'Thomas' are two
   completely different login names, then removing 'THOMAS' from a list
   should not remove 'Thomas', ok?

All  that I  can do  is changed  LSVNADDR to  unconditionally upcase  the
domain-part  of the  address, so  that you  won't have  any problem  with
domain case-matching. This  is perfectly valid, according  to RFC822. But
how  many complaints  from UNIX  bigots will  I get  if I  do that  (like
"'Cambridge' is the way God meant Cambridge to be spelled, and your s***y
mail server addresses me as [log in to unmask] It st*nks of
IBM brain damage!, etc").

  Eric