"Okseniak, Edward" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:33:51 -0400
Valdis,

I should have described the overall process. We presently build e-mail
messages from a legacy database on our mainframe. Those messages are built
with SMTP commands associated with each message and then forwarded to a SMTP
queue for release to our mail exchange server. These e-mail messages are
created with some personalization associated with each message which makes
it impossible for us to do a mail merge process with ListServ.

I was hoping that we might be able to process in the same using the
DISTRIBUTE command. We have seen a large increase in the number of e-mail we
process so we're looking to move off of SMTP to some other mail handler....

I'm open to any suggestions....

Ed Okseniak
application architect
dow jones inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 1:24 PM
To: Okseniak, Edward
Cc: LISTSERV give-and-take forum
Subject: Re: Stacking of command lines with messages....

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:11:58 EDT, Ed Okseniak <[log in to unmask]>
said:
> I am looking to be able to stack commands and messages within one e-mail
> that is sent to ListServ and I'm wondering if anyone has ever attempted
> this before. Here's an example of what I'd like to send....

Ed - given that each posting has customized information in it (namely,
a per-subscriber URL/etc), using Listserv DISTRIBUTE is a bad idea -
basically,
you're handing Listserv a job to hand ONE piece of mail to the MTA that you
could have handed to the MTA yourself.

Is there some reason I'm missing why you're handing it to Listserv rather
than directly to your MTA?

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech