Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:58:33 -0500
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:06:02 PST, "Patrick B. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> I did have to my ListServer to our DMZ so other mail servers could see
> it. But now I have issues getting email delivered into our intranet.
> These issues are dns issues. I guess I need to install a dns on my
> ListServer.

No, you only need to point your Listserv machine at a DNS that's properly
configured.  Installing your own is just adding to the confusion unless you
actually really understand how to run a DNS - if you're trying to work around
the fact that your site has 2 DNS servers that don't agree on what's going on,
adding a third is just gasoline on the fire.

Having said that, I'll note that often, running a *caching-only* DNS on the
Listserv machine is a big performance win because it often saves you a network
round-trip or three to look up an A or MX record.  But that's a performance
optimization only - it has the same view of the world as whatever DNS server
it's pointed to for resolving queries.